In a TED prize acceptance speech renowned chef and Food revolutionist Jamie Oliver states his one wish: Teach every child about food.
Since I heard that statement I have given much thought to setting a tradition to pass along to my kids... Teaching them about good food, great cooking and wholesome living.
Cooking with kids is creating a favorite family moment, one that deepens bonds, it's messy at the same time magical. I intend our family kitchen to be the memory brewing pot where we share our food, love and hearts while we whip up a meal and whisk in some sweet treats. The meal planning challenge is amplified especially when you are cooking for a brood of three hungry little boys, hence I absolutely embrace quick weekday meals and healthy shortcuts. I am not a certified chef by any means, but as a certified mom I enjoy cooking hearty-meals which calls for simple preparation and easily sourced ingredients. I commit to the process of finding products and recipes and sharing my own creations from our family kitchen as a means to inspire my readers to get creative and to enjoy magical moments.
PUCK from Arla is my product find and here i share recipes I have been introduced to for kid friendly meal ideas.
Roast beef sandwich
A roast beef sandwich is quite common in most non-vegetarian households, but the slight tang and sweetness in the Havarti cheese is what makes this particular roast beef sandwich stand out.
DIFFICULTY: Easy COOKING TIME: < 1 hour
- 8 PUCK Natural Havarti Slices
- 2 Tablespoons Dijonnaise
- 1 Onion, large
- 1⁄2 Cup Water
- 200 Grams Roast Beef Slices, thinly cut
- 1 Slice Country Bread, toasted
- Pickles, optional
- Start by preparing the caramelized onions. Heat 1 1⁄2 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes. Once the color starts to change, pour in 1⁄2 cup of water and cook till the water is completely absorbed, giving you soft brown caramelized onions. Set aside.
- On the toasted country bread, spread one tbsp. of Dijonnaise, topped with thinly cut slices of roast beef, followed by caramelized onions and a final layer of 2 slices of PUCK Natural Havarti cheese. For extra zing, you can add a few slices of pickle.
- Heat the sandwich under a broiler or grill to melt the cheese and add an extra crunch to your sandwich.
Colorful Fruit Parfait
These fresh fruit parfaits make for a colorful fun breakfast or dessert, or even an indulgent snack. It is a perfect combination of crunchy granola, silky whipped cream and fresh berries.
DIFFICULTY: Easy COOKING TIME: < 30 minutes
- 2 Cups PUCK Whipping Cream
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Cups Mixed Berries, fresh
- 2 Cups Granola
- 1⁄2 Cup Almonds
- Honey, optional
Rosemary Sprig, optional
1. In a food processor, whisk together the sugar and PUCK Whipping Cream till you get silky soft peaks. Transfer into a piping bag and chill.
2. In a mason jar or bowl, layer 2 tbsp. of granola, 2 tbsp. of mixed berries, a tbsp. of almonds, and pipe in some freshly whipped cream. Repeat the layers and garnish with a sprig of rosemary. Serve with a drizzle of honey if you prefer a touch of sweetness.
Turkey Ham Monte Cristo
This is an American classic: a French toast sandwich filled with turkey ham and melted Gouda cheese. It is served with a dollop of strawberry jam.
DIFFICULTY: Easy COOKING TIME: < 15 minutes
- 8 White Bread, Slices
- 8 PUCK Natural Gouda Slices, slices
- 4 Turkey Ham, slices
- 3 Eggs
- 1⁄2 Cup Milk
- 50 Grams Lurpak Butter
- 1⁄2 Cup Strawberry Jam, To serve
- 2 Tablespoons Icing Sugar, to dust
1. Lay 4 slices of bread down on a clean work surface. Top each with one PUCK Natural Gouda Cheese Slice, followed by a slice of turkey ham and finally another slice of cheese. Top with the remaining slices of bread to make 4 sandwiches.
2. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and milk. Melt half of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
3. Working two at a time, carefully dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture, turning to coat. Place in the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Cook the remaining sandwiches in the rest of the butter.
4. Slice in half to serve, accompanied with a dollop of strawberry jam and lightly dusted with icing sugar.
Roasted Garlic and Herb Cheese Dip
Roasted garlic is sweet and less pungent than fresh garlic. It combines perfectly with Puck Cream Cheese spread.
DIFFICULTY: Easy COOKING TIME: < 1 hour
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Unpeeled
- 250 Grams PUCK White Cream Cheese Spread, Chilled
- 2 Onions, slices, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley, Chopped
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper, freshly ground, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the garlic on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast for 20 minutes, until soft. Cool
2. Spoon the PUCK Cream Cheese Spread into a mixing bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic flesh into the bowl and add the chopped spring onions and parsley. Stir until well combined and season with freshly ground black pepper.
3. Transfer into a serving bowl. Serve dip with vegetable crudities and crostini.