Looking for ideas to fix a quick, healthy and tasty meal for kids. Look no further - We continue with the series on ‘Fresh clean cooking recipes for under 20 mins fix’. The recipe below is one of our family favorite. We frequent Thai restaurants, just to have this very dish and now I have found my own way to replicate this. This is by far one of the easiest Asian dishes to prepare. It may not look appetizing to many, as steamed and raw fish is sometimes not conceived as flavorful. But believe me it is just a preconceived mindset, give it a shift and you will fall in love with the flavors the moment you take your first bite. My lil boys could sit and have a fish each on their own and they always have room for more. This taste best paired with Jasmine rice.
Steamed Fish with Garlic, Lime and Chile
Preparation TIME : 20MINS
- 1 Hammour, Red Snapper or Cream Dori cleaned and gutted (you could even use a large fillet as i have used in the picture)
- Banana leaf or aluminum foil
- 12 cloves of garlic chopped round or small
- 1 red Thai Chili sliced and 1 fresh green chillie (use according to spice preference with kids)
- 1 Tbsp chopped Cilantro stems (coriander stalks) a few cilantro leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoon chicken broth
- 3Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1/4th cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4th tsp salt
- Make diagonal slashes across the fish on both sides with a very sharp knife
- Use a motar and pound lightly the chopped garlic, chili, cilantro stalks - mix this with the chicken broth, fish sauce, lime juice, salt and sugar.
- Set aside a small portion of the mix. Place the fish on the banana leaf or aluminum foil .The remaining mix add to the Fish. (If using a whole fish, ensure the mixture is placed inside cavity generously)
- Bring water to boil in a steamer. Transfer fish on the foil or banana leaf to the top of the steamer. Steam fish on medium heat for 12 minutes.
- Transfer fish to a serving plate, ensuring all the juices are scooped to the plate. Pour the reserved mix over .
- Garnish with lemon slices and cilantros. Enjoy with steamed rice.
Voila! An instant fresh, flavorful dish with a handful of ingredients and a preparation time of under 20 mins!