I have had so many moms requesting me to share recipes for a tasty meal for kids. I am no chef, however I enjoy crafting my own dishes with whatever ingredients that I can grab hold of from my cabinet and fridge, surprisingly they turn out good and my clan of boys are a fan of 'moms cooking'. I am a huge advocate of 'FRESH/CLEAN COOKING' and I try my best to have my home meals prepared bearing that philosophy in mind. I eat out so much as a reviewer and food critic that it is imperative I check how I balance that lifestyle with fresh food at home. As a mom of 3 little boys and with all that I juggle, let me be honest, i do not stay put in the kitchen whipping up a storm. My kids enjoy it when its moms food on the table, hence I do my best to prepare hearty and healthy meals for them, however my big rule is 'NO time consuming recipes'. I am sharing with you two of my recipes which is top favorite in my household. They can be savored just as they are and with no extra side dishes (so no extra time in the kitchen), as they have veggies and proteins all packed into them. They are crafted and put together by myself and they have always been a hit at home. They are great for formal dinners too. Leftovers always packed for school. Hope you get to try and enjoy them too!
STIR FRIED PRAWN NOODLES
Preparation TIME : 15 MINS
- 1 pack Egg Noodles/ Hakka Noodle
- 2 tbs oil
- 1/2 cup baby carrot cut slanted, Broccoli florets,
- Cabbage medium cube size, thinly sliced Capsicum/bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped
- 1/4th tsp chilly powder, pepper power (to marinate prawn)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce (depends on spice level)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Marinate prawn with salt, chilly powder and pepper powder
- Cook noodles, do not overcook, check package instructions. Drain the cooked noodles in a colander, and rinse them with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wide pan or wok on medium high heat, first sauté the garlic, for about 1 minutes. add Prawn that is marinated, cook for another minute or 2.
- stir fry the carrots with the above, then add the cabbage, then the broccoli. Stir fry for about two minutes.
- lastly add the bell pepper. Do not overcook the vegetables, it should be crunchy.
- Add noodles, salt, soy sauce, and chili sauce, toss them together and stir-fry them for about a minute. Yummy noodles packed with proteins and veggies are now ready for slurping!
The below recipe may look time consuming, but no!! It is just the cooking time in the slow cooker. Preparing time is under 20 mins and all you do is throw everything below in a slow cooker first thing in the morning, go ahead with your daily chore, return back in 5 hrs to have a scrumptious meal ready. When kids are back from school, the meal is just ready and can be enjoyed hot and fresh!
ROAST CHICKEN ON A BED OF VEGETABLES
Preparation TIME : 20 MINS
Slow cook in Oven for :5- 6 hrs.
- chicken weighing 2 kg
For the marinade :
- 8 cloves of fresh garlic paste
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper powder
- 1tsp salt
- Lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp soya sauce
For Bed of Veggies
- 2 medium carrots cut into cubes,
- 1 broccoli florets
- 8 mushooms in halves
- 4 potatoes quartered
- 2tbsp garlic power and dry herbs
- Olive oil to drizzle
- Place veggies ina 6-qt. slow cooker; drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with garlic power and dry herbs (rosemary, parsley etc) toss with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Baste the chicken with olive oil and use half ofthe prepared chicken marinade in chicken cavity and all over rubbing generously. You could tie drumsticks together.
- Place chicken over vegetables in slow cooker, breast side up. Pour remaining marinade over chicken.
- Cook, covered, on medium for 4hours and on high 1- 2 hrs or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken on to a pan drizzled with olive oil, pan fry it for a few minutes till the outside is golden brown.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter;. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables.